Monday 1 May 2017

The translations of the Buddhist scriptures say suffering was attributed to desire.

One sees a beautiful modern house in a quiet place and thought comes admiring it and imagining having it, the peace, the look from the window. Then a memory is formed and it reappears marveling how great it would be.  So one is here without the house and the imaginary situation is 'there'. I must become that 'there'. I must work overtime, sleep less, please my boss. Then get a loan. Perhaps get myself in trouble in the process. All this time I'm driven by the memory, by thought. And all this time I'm unhappy because I am here, not 'there', in the better, greater life. That is desire.

No desire means no psychological perturbation.

In the modern terms we can identify desire in fact as thought.

When there is no Unitary Perception, there's inevitably thought arising.

Non-functional movement of thought is known in the popular culture as desire - fear - anger - sorrow and many other names describing psychological perturbation.

No comments:

Post a Comment